Railroad 100% Embroidered Patch Collectible - Lackawanna Railroad
William Truesdale became president of the DL&W in March 1899, and embarked on a rebuilding and upgrading program. The two major accomplishments were a 28.5-mile (46 km) Lackawanna Cut-Off straight across western New Jersey between Slateford Junction and Port Morris Junction that bypassed the "Old Road" (some 40 miles of circuitous, curved, hilly trackage), and a new line north of Scranton. Both new lines were characterized by massive cuts and fills,low grades and graceful reinforced-concrete viaducts ? Tunkhannock, Paulins Kill, Martins Creek, and Kingsley. DL&W's suburban territory came in for track elevation, railroad crossing elimination, and new stations, all as a prelude to the 1930 electrification of lines to Dover, Gladstone and Montclair and the introduction of multiple-unit cars over those routes. Significant Beaux-Arts stations were constructed in Hoboken and Scranton. By the 1920s, DL&W began participating in a three-company long distance train operation. With the Reading Railroad(RDG) and CNJ it offered overnight service including sleeping cars on the Interstate Express from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, to Syracuse, New York. It had additional connections to Buffalo and Washington, D.C. The service ended around 1955.